SOFTBALL STUDY GUIDE
Inning a visiting team batting until 3 outs are made AND the home team doing the same.
- Strike Zone area approximately the width of home plate, from the arm pits to the knees of the batter, in which the ball should be pitched.
- Ball area pitched outside the strike zone.
- Force Play when there is a runner on all bases behind you, you are forced to the next base on a ground ball; the defense need only tag the base before the runner does to cause an out.
- Tag play when base runners are not forced by players on each base behind them; they must be tagged with the ball before touching the base to cause an out.
- Tagging up advancing to the next base on a caught fly ball. The player may not leave the base until the ball is caught and must be tagged to be out.
- Bunt intentionally tapping the ball with the bat, without using a full swing.
- Steal to advance to the next base as the ball is being pitched. The base runner may not leave the base until the ball leaves the pitchers hand.
- Foul Ball
- Infield any ball in the infield (before the first and third base bags) touched by a defensive player outside the foul lines.
Outfield any ball hit in the air past 1st or 3rd base which lands outside these same lines.
- Infield any ball touched in front of the bases inside the foul lines or comes to rest inside these lines.
- Outfield any ball hit in the air past first or third base landing inside the foul lines, regardless of where it rolls to or comes to rest.
- The game is played by two teams of nine players each.
- A game is seven innings long, unless the score is tied. Extra innings may be played.
- Three strikes constitute an out.
- Four balls not in the strike zone constitutes a walk.
- Three outs constitute a teams ½ inning and then the other team bats to complete the inning.
- If the ball is tipped on the 1st or 2nd strike by the bat, it is a strike. On the 3rd strike, if the ball is tipped, the batter is allowed another chance.
- First base and home plate may be overrun safely by a base runner; 2nd and 3rd may not.
- Base stealing and bunting are legal in regulation softball, not in class.
- An attempted bunt with two strikes that goes foul will cause the batter to be called out.
- All pitching is done underhand.
- The pitcher must have one foot in contact with the pitching plate while pitching.
- A base runner struck by a fair batted ball is out.
- A base runner struck by a thrown ball in not out.
- A base runner may not interfere with a fielder who is attempting to play the ball.
- A fielder who in snot playing the ball may not impede the progress of a runner.
- A runner is called out if they leave the base before the ball is released from the pitchers hand.
- Base runners may not run outside the base path to avoid being tagged out.
Each player position is designated by a number which is used for scoring purposes.
- First base person
- Second base person
- Third base person
- Left fielder
- Center fielder
- Right fielder