Good Neighbors at CHS! - Cranford High School is pleased to offer the Open Campus and Open Lunch privilege to our students. This program is one that is designed to accommodate students in good standing who have satisfied the requirements of the program.
With students coming and going from the building consistently throughout the day, there is increased foot traffic around the campus, and in the surrounding neighborhood. The Administration would like to take this opportunity to reinforce the standards of conduct that should be adhered to while out participating in Open Campus/Open Lunch.
Students should continue to be mindful of parking properly, not discarding any trash on the ground and being a good neighbor and CHS representative to the community. This is our neighborhood and we proudly share it with residents, friends and visitors. It is our responsibility to always care for it appropriately.
CHS PAW "Performing Arts Student of the Week" - Click here for details. Nominated based on Leadership and/or Artistic Skill and/or Work Ethic: Andrew Cisneros.
The 2023 National Roman Civilization Exam ("NRCE") and National Classical Etymology Exam ("NCEE") were taken by 17 students during the month of November, 2023 at CHS: The NCEE exam tests a student's knowledge of Latin and Greek vocabulary and word derivation. The NRCE tests a student's knowledge and comprehension of Roman history and culture from Romulus to the end of the Roman Empire. The tests are developed pertaining to the level and experience of each student. Please see the names of the 2023 NCEE and NRCE Medalists below:
NRCE: 2 medalists
Silver Medal: "Maxima Cum Laude" - Owen Dietrich
Bronze Medal: "Maxima Cum Laude" - Emily West
NCEE: 7 medalists
Silver Medal: "Maxima Cum Laude" - Owen Dietrich
Silver Medal: "Maxima Cum Laude" - Owen Kennedy
Silver Medal: "Maxima Cum Laude" - Cayla Reilly
Silver Medal: "Maxima Cum Laude" - Kieran Geraghty
Bronze Medal: "Maxima Cum Laude" - Darby Canedo
Bronze Medal: "Maxima Cum Laude" - Adriana Coakley
Bronze Medal: "Maxima Cum Laude" - Dominick Lotito
2023-2024 NJPSA Scholarship - New Jersey Principals and Supervisors Association (NJPSA) is providing student leadership scholarships of $2,000 each, which will be awarded to graduating seniors for their demonstrated leadership in community or school activities (other than athletics). CHS can nominate one student. If interested in applying, please complete this self-nomination application and submit by Friday, March 1, 2024. One student will be selected and the nomination and application will be submitted by Wednesday, March 13 to the NJPSA.
Community Scholarships - CLASS OF 2024 SENIORS CRANFORD COMMUNITY SCHOLARSHIPS: APPLY NOW! ALL APPLICATIONS ARE DUE BY THURSDAY, MARCH 28. SCHOLARSHIP MATERIALS (TRANSCRIPT/LETTER OF REC) WILL BE SENT AFTER YOUR APPLICATION IS RECEIVED BY THE COMMUNITY ORGANIZATION.
A COMMON APPLICATION AS A Google Docs OR PDF MUST BE COMPLETED FOR EACH SCHOLARSHIP.
Health and Wellness at CHS - This week was National Eating Disorders Awareness Week. We used this week to focus on body positivity and health at every size. Attached and linked here is a newsletter with information for faculty, students, and parents. Please share with your students, post on your google classrooms, or use it as a resource.
The March Wellness Calendar is also attached and linked here.
Upcoming NJGPA and Testing Information
3/11 - Is a half day for students. There will be a homeroom to distribute testing tickets.
3/12-3/15 - 11th graders arrive 7:50am to take NJGPA - required to graduate.
9th, 10th, and 12th graders arrive at 10am for class.
Please see the attached NJGPA, March 12th-15th and NJSLA, schedules for testing:
Please see the attached NJSLA schedules for testing May 20th and 21st.
Fashion Show is a Permitted Items Event - The Fashion Show on Friday, March 8th will be following the Permitted Items Policy. In addition - it's not too late to purchase your tickets at THIS LINK to see the show next week!
Spring Sports Physicals - Please click here for important details related to physicals for spring athletes.
Harlem Wizards Concessions Collection - Attention Class of 2025 Families: The Harlem Wizards are coming to town on Thursday, March 21st! We need your help in collecting concessions for the Harlem Wizards Game. Please use the following link here to sign up to donate. Any donations are appreciated, and can be brought to Ms. Phillips in L405 or Ms. Hooks in L313. We hope you consider helping out the Class of 2025.
Celebrate Your Graduate with a Lawn Sign!
- Kindergarten, Grammar School, Middle and High School signs available.
- Signs include School & Student Name.
- Signs are only $38.
- Order through this LINK & pick up at Cougar HQ.
- All proceeds benefit CHS Class of 2024 Project Graduation
Cranford Fund for Educational Excellence
What is the CFEE (Cranford Fund for Educational Excellence)?
Started nearly 30 years ago by members of the community interested in supporting innovative educational initiatives in the Cranford Schools, the Cranford Fund for Educational Excellence has awarded more than $325,000 in supplemental funding for educational grants that empower our teachers and impact our students. These grants support ideas that are aligned with the goals and focus areas of the district schools, but are outside the scope of the regular school budget. Please click here for details.
The Senior Class has many exciting events coming up!
Please review the links for details.
- Fashion Show and Lock In Information (Practice Schedule Included)
- Additional Student Fashion Show Roles - Click HERE
- Senior vs. Faculty VOLLEYBALL Game
Harlem Wizards Return to CHS!!! - The Harlem Wizards are coming back to town! Please join Cranford High School's Class of 2025 in hosting the Harlem Wizards for a fun game against Cranford Teachers and Staff. The Harlem Wizards will be coming on March 21st, 2024 from 6:30 PM to 9:00 PM. All are welcome to join in on this fun night. Tickets can be purchased here. Please reach out to Ms. Phillips or Ms. Hooks for more information. We hope to see you there!
Relay for Life - Cranford's Annual Relay for Life will be held on Friday, May 17th at Orange Avenue School's back field beginning at 5pm until midnight. Cranford families, school groups, teams and any supporters are invited to register as a team or even individually for this year's Relay for Life event. Click here for details.
Inclement Weather Safety Policy Reminder - This is a reminder that per Cranford Public Schools safety guidelines, Open Campus/Open Lunch privileges may be suspended during inclement weather (extreme temperatures, ice, sleet, snow, high winds, etc). Please be sure that if the forecast calls for inclement weather that students are prepared and bring lunch or money to purchase lunch to school. IF we need to close Open Campus/Open Lunch, the Wolfe Library and Learning Commons along with the Lower Gym will be open for students to eat.
CHS Club Information - Please click here to review CHS' current club selections.
The CHS Program of Studies has been prepared to acquaint Cranford High School students and their parents with the many course offerings that are available at the high school. Committed to academic excellence and advancement in all areas, we are continuing to work on the proactive growth model that stresses fulfillment of goals. Please review pages 19-21 to become familiar with the CHS CTE Academy Programs.
Twitter - Follow Mr. Cantagallo on Facebook facebook.com/CranfordPrincipa
- Environmentally safe and allergy free disinfectant will be used by both staff and students to wipe down desks between classes. Students may also bring wipes to use as long as they are environmentally friendly and allergen free
- Sanitizing stations will be available in all classrooms and in the hallways, offices and bathrooms. Students may bring sanitizers for themselves
- Students should wash hands for at least 20 seconds at regular intervals, including before eating, after using the bathroom, and after blowing their nose/coughing/sneezing. Students will use alcohol-based hand sanitizer (at least 60% alcohol) if washing with soap and water is not possible
- Lunch- Recess will take place in grades Prek-5.
- Extra-Curricular Activities and Clubs- We are committed to running these opportunities as close to normal as possible, in accordance with current guidelines and orders.
Schedules and Events
You can also use the helpful Period Notifier to keep track of the schedules (including during half-days, delayed openings, homerooms, and midterm/finals).Open Lunch:
- 9th Grade Students do not have Open Lunch but can earn it during their 10th grade year
- 10th Grade Students Ã¢â‚¬Å“in good standingÃ¢â‚¬Â have Open Lunch on Tuesday and Thursday
- 11th Grade Students Ã¢â‚¬Å“in good standingÃ¢â‚¬Â have Open Lunch on Monday, Wednesday and Friday
In addition, important information can be found on the right navigation as well as below. I encourage you to take a few moments to review the following documents, and please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.
- Family Life and HIV/AIDS Curriculum and Grade 9, 11 and 12
- Student Handbook 2023-2024
- Policy 5600: Student Discipline/Code of Conduct
- Regulation 5600: Student Discipline/Code of Conduct
- Academic Integrity Procedures
- Cranford High School Office Phone Numbers
- ADAPT-Alchohol Drug Assistance Program for Teens-REMINDER-a student may be entered into the ADAPT Program based on the criteria below in addition to the possession or use of drugs or alcohol.
- Referral by a studentÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s parent for smoking, and/or the use of tobacco, nicotine, vaping devices or other products and devices related to smoking or the use of tobacco.
- A student is in possession of or is caught in the act of smoking or using tobacco, nicotine, vaping devices or other products related to the use of tobacco.
- Cranford Police Department-Memorandum of Agreement notification
- Join the PTSA, Friends of the Performing Arts, and Booster Club
- Please remember to review/revise your child's emergency contact information in InfoSnap. Click HERE for instructions. Parents/Guardians should review their emergency contact list prior to school beginning to ensure the individuals on the contact list are willing and able to pick up their child in a timely manner in the event of the student becoming ill. Thank you in advance for taking the time to update this critical information.
- All parents/visitors will need to enter and exit from the main door. Please ring the bell, state your name and purpose for the visit and have your ID ready.
- Lockers and Locker rooms-will be utilized at the start of the year
- Students will receive locker assignments and combinations on the first day of school.
- All students are assigned a locker with a combination lock to secure their school supplies. Due to security reasons, only school issued locks may be used on lockers, and this lock should be kept throughout high school and returned upon graduation. Students are expected to keep the lockers neat and clean. Students will be responsible for damages and may be assessed the cost of repair. Any damage to lockers should be reported immediately. Loss of a lock will result in a ten dollar replacement fee.
- Superintendents Letter 8.19.22
Cranford High School has security cameras inside the building and around the perimeter of our school to ensure the safety of all staff, students, and visitors and to safeguard our facility from vandalism and theft. Cameras will be used in locations as deemed appropriate by the administration. Video recordings will be reviewed if there is evidence that a violation of board policies, administrative regulations, building rules, or laws has occurred.